Sunday, February 2, 2014

Blog Post #1 Beyond Two Cultures

I can't say that I bridge the two cultures - humanism and science - in my everyday life, not exactly. But I do balance my intellectual interests (linguistics, pedagogy and learning) with more physical, hands-on pursuits. Foremost is gardening, which I have avidly done since I was a young boy. I love designing, planting, and caring for the garden, which I find a total change of pace from my "mental" work at the college. My other physical pursuit - which most people are surprised to hear - is carriage driving! Yes, it's actually a competitive sport (I have some ribbons to prove it!) and it's how I get the opportunity to be around horses. I took up the sport in my 50s, and believe me, it was difficult to be a total and complete novice at something - and it's not that easy to do! Just as some people view science and the humanities as two cultures, it's interesting to me that the mental and physical realms are also often viewed as two distinct worlds.

5 comments:

  1. Carriage racing! That's awesome. Reminds me of that scene from Ben Hur. :) Seriously, though, where in the NYC area is carriage racing even possible? And what a wonderful adventure. I agree that the notion of two cultures doesn't have to be restricted to the science-humanities dichotomy. The mental-physical dichotomy is equally valid and, as you mentioned in your comment on my blog, an equally exhilarating endeavor. So often, we academics get lost in the mental/intellectual culture and leave the physical world and its trappings behind. I find the physical, and nature more specifically, to be a wonderful respite from the mental. At the same time, I find that being in nature and pursuing physical activities to be a wonderful opportunity to inspire my intellect. But now... I want to attend a competition and watch you carriage race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, if I can improve my technology skills in this "seminar," I'll post a short video of my driving. It's not really racing a la Ben Hur! We do dressage, obstacles, and cross-country marathon.,

      Delete
  2. I need to know how you started carriage driving. There must be a story there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved horses since I was a small boy, but growing up in the city I had no chance to be around them. Some time after I bought a weekend house in the country (upstate in Dutchess County), I decided to pursue horsemanship. However, I had just recovered from a case of on-and-off vertigo that lasted about a year, leaving my balance impaired. If you have balance issues, probably the last thing you want to do is try to ride a horse! But there was a stable near me that offered carriage driving lessons as well as riding lessons, and I figured sitting in a carriage demanded less balance than sitting on the back of a horse. So my carriage driving hobby was launched.

      Delete
  3. This reminds me of the skills Confucius thought ancient superior men must master: ritual, music (playing instruments), archery, riding (horses) and CARRIAGE DRIVING, writing, and arithmetic.

    Dear Provost, obviously you are very close to the standards for superior men, congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete